Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organi-zation that delivers emergency aid in more than 70 countries to people affected by armed con-flict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience2 years
- Job FieldMedical / Healthcare
Location: Gwoza, Borno
Working hours: 48 Hours Per week
Salary: As per the MSF salary scale (national contract)
Grade level:Level 9, under local contract
Reports to (Hierarchical): Medical Activity Manager
Reports to (Functional): Medical Activity Manager / Project Medical Referent
Job Family: Medical
- Provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medi-cal knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits , consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Manage the team under his/her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary.
- Education: Medical Doctor diploma, Desirable diploma in Tropical Medicine
- Experience: 2 year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work (can be within medical training). Desirable in tropical medicine, or post-registration experience in Public Health , obs and gynae, paediatrics, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS/STDs, TB, general practice, general medicine or minor surgery.
- Mission language (English) essential. Local language desirable
- People Management
- The employee is encouraged to continually improve the skills associated with his/her position.
- The employee should also cooperate with co-workers in order to compensate for absences and changes in the project.
- As a humanitarian organization involved in emergency programs, all national and international MSF staffs are expected to be available for emergency response activities.
- Job TypeFull Time
- Job FieldMedical / Healthcare
Reference No. MS03000
Working hours: 48 Hours per week
Salary: As per the MSF salary scale (national/local contract)
Grade level: 6 under local contract
Reports to (Hierarchical): Project coordinator /Activity Manager
Reports to (Functional): Activity Manager / Project Medical Referent/ Medical Coordinator
Job Family: Medical
- Provide obstetrical care to pregnant women and their babies, doing follow up before, during and after deliv-ery, according to MSF obstetrical and reproductive health protocols, universal hygienic and newborn caring standards and under supervision of a specialist doctor, in order to ensure their health conditions and avoid post-delivery complications.
- Ensuring the implementation and continuity of antenatal and postnatal care, family planning, obstetrical care (BEmONC 1 and CEmONC 2), neonatal and comprehensive post-abortion care, management of victims of sexual violence, reproductive tract infections and Fistula care in accordance with MSF Reproductive Core Package of Activities and reinforce the implementation of standardised protocols.
- Where PMTCT is implemented, ensuring implementation of the PMTCT protocol in the ANC/delivery and PNC consultations (pre counselling, test and post counselling
- Collaborating with the medical doctor and /or nurse and/or Community Health Workers in the management of Sexual Violence cases
- Assessing the feasibility for referral of pregnant women form the TBAs to the OPD/MCH for medical evaluation and/or complicated deliveries.
- Ensuring hygiene and sterilization criteria (including universal precautions) are met according to MSF specifications.
- Performing cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Guaranteeing a regular and ongoing supply of drugs and equipment required for maternity activities (including monitoring/consumption control/ordering of orders.
- Properly following up all newborn babies from delivery until discharge, informing mothers and relatives about importance of breast feeding, vaccination and possible complications resulting from harmful traditional practices.
- Ensuring patients’ right to privacy and confidentiality is respected
- Ensuring proper documentation and weekly data collection.
- Supervising that administrative procedures of admissions and hospitalizations comply with MSF protocols , as well as verify patients are properly informed and receive the documents required (birth certificate, vaccination card, etc
- Participating in the organization of the ward in collaboration with other midwifes and the maternity ward supervisor as well as being involved in IPC (Infection prevention Control). Ensure transfer of relevant information to the next shift team (specially identifying risk cases)
- According to MSF protocols in force, conduct normal deliveries independently Manage obstetric emergencies; identify cases needing referral and send them in time, clean up the new-born, executing and registering first neo-natal medical acts (cutting and cleaning the umbilical cord, vaccination, etc.), detecting possible anomalies/infections of the newborn and reporting them to the doctor, in order to ensure successful interventions;
- Supervises the use of drugs, perform AMV for post abortion care if needed, facilities and obstetric material, in order to ensure, in accordance with number of patients and prescriptions, a rational use as well as pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated, kept under appropriate conditions and above minimum safety point. 1 BEmONC = basic emergency obstetric and neonatal care = Administration of antibiotics, oxytocics, anticonvulsants, manual removal of the placenta, removal of retained products following abortion, assisted vaginal delivery, preferably with vacuum extractor and newborn care including neonatal resuscitation. 2 CEmONC = comprehensive obstetric and neonatal care = the full package of BEmONC Plus; surgery (caesarean section, hysterectomy, laparatomy), safe blood transfusion and care to sick and low birth weight newborns.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Participating in msf strategies of staff development (in ensuring teamwork and adherence to trainings, meetings…)
- Ensuring all rapid test ( RDT, HB, Glucose …) requested by doctors are done in the ward without delay , and participating in urine test , stools sample collection
- Welcome to the victims of Sexually Gender Based Violence
- Know the SGBV protocols and take care of the victims correctly
- Safe guarding for all patient admitted
Basic hygiene rules:
- Knows and applies universal precautions and infections control in medical premises, ensuring asepsis during all nursing cares, as well as quality sterilisation procedures.
- Follows the procedure for sorting waste
- Follows the procedures in the case of accidental blood exposure
Drugs and material:
- Looks after all equipment provided.
- Ensures that no material is taken out of wards without prior authorisation.
- Keeps an updated inventory of all material and equipment used and ask in advance for all renewable material needed.
- Carries out stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover
- Informs line manager of the various needs or of any problems linked to equipment or material (ex. broken, missing).
- Records in individual patient’s card and registration books all activities performed.
- Records in each patient’s card quantities and type of drugs taken. Replace with: Records in each patient´s chart drugs administered, dose, and time.
- Fills in the handover book, noting everything that happened during the shift and any changes in prescription or patients to be followed up
- Promotes and maintains confidentiality regarding all patient cases and records.
- Informs medical staff about any possible serious problem or complication, ex. worsening of state of patients, problems in medicines, etc.
- Ensures handover to next duty team regarding patients and their status.
- Informs line manager of any problems that might be linked to work of midwifes as well as problematic equipment, drugs, material (ex. broken, missing) or behaviours toward beneficiaries which can affect operation.
- Participates in the medical team meeting for exchanging information on the state of the patients
Note: This list of activities is not exhaustive, MSF may ask you to perform other tasks according to the needs of the context.
- Education Essential midwifery qualification or specialization: Bachelor’s degree in Midwifery
- Experience Essential working experience of at least 1 year in midwife activities related jobs. Ideally with MSF or other international NGOs.
- Languages Mission language: English (essential); local working language (Hausa) would be a strong asset and will be privileged.
- Computer skills: basic knowledge required.
Interested and qualified candidates should send a CV, Motivation Letter, and Credentials either by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send in person in an envelope marked ‘Title’ to:
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) – Spain Office,
- Only short-listed applicants are contacted.
- Applications are non-returnable. Do not submit original certificates or credentials.
- MSF encourages woman apply.
- MSF encourages people with disability status to apply.
- MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association.
- Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.