The School of Oriental African Studies (SOAS) at the University of London invites applications for Sanctuary scholarships in 2019.
The SOAS Sanctuary scheme to support displaced people was launched in 2015. It is designed to support those who might otherwise be blocked from embarking on a university degree especially those with a precarious forms of immigration status or who do not have access to Student Finance, and people taking their first steps into Higher Education.
There will be 7 scholarships for students commencing degrees at SOAS in 2019/20 (new admissions starting in September 2019). It is intended that one will be at Master’s level and 6 at Undergraduate level.
Worth of Award
The scholarships include a full tuition fee waiver for:
- Any full-time undergraduate degree of 3 years duration
- Any full time one year or part-time two-year postgraduate taught Master’s degree on campus (not distance learning)
- In addition, a package of support will be provided to contribute towards the living costs (which includes accommodation, travel and study materials) for the student to take up their place.
Applicants must be a displaced person which includes the following types of status:
- Refugee status
- Humanitarian protection status
- Discretionary/limited leave to remain on human rights grounds including UASC
- Submitted an asylum claim in the UK.
- Applicants for the postgraduate taught Masters degrees (on campus – not distance learning) must have provided a letter from the UK Government confirming leave to remain status or humanitarian status in the UK in their application for admission.
- Applicants for undergraduate degrees must have provided a letter from the UK Government confirming leave to remain status or humanitarian status in the UK to firstname.lastname@example.org by the scholarships application deadline.
- Applicants must be resident in the UK
- They also welcome applications from young people who attended school in the UK to 18 but now are having to resolve their immigration status and meanwhile cannot embark on a degree course due to lack of access to Student Finance.
- For your application for a Sanctuary Scholarship to be considered by the Selection Panel, you will need to have received an offer of a place to study an eligible degree at SOAS, so please do not delay making your application for a place at SOAS.
- You will still have to meet the conditions of your offer of a place (academic qualifications and English language requirements for example), to embark on the degree and receive the scholarship.
- Only new students may apply: those already enrolled on a degree at SOAS are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply
- Select and apply for your chosen degree programme via UCAS (Undergraduates) or Postgraduate Admissions (Masters). Having a place at SOAS is necessary to be considered by the Sanctuary Scholarship selection panel, although you may submit a scholarship application before you receive your offer of a place from admissions.
- Apply for the Sanctuary Scholarship via the online form: You should save a copy of your application form for your records. If you wish to print a copy of the application then please do so before clicking SUBMIT.
Deadline: Scholarship applications must be received by no later than 17:00 UK Local Time on May 29, 2019. Incomplete applications will not be considered.